Thursday 31 January 2013

Wood Fired Pizza in the Snow

Imagine my delight. Not only was it one of those evenings when preparing a family meal would be a time pressured challenge, it was also the evening that the wood fired pizza van was stationed outside our local shop. We'd had several days of snow and ice so just getting around was becoming a bit of a struggle. I was actually going to the shop to buy some ingredients for a simple and quick pasta dish, but the lure of the woodsmoke and glimpse of the flames was just a bit much to resist. And, I knew the kids would be delighted.



Unlike pizza chain food (the one named after the game with pieces with dots on them springs to mind, and there was one barely a hundred yards away), these pizzas are thin crust and cooked carefully and quickly in the mobile woodfired oven.

I ordered a chicken pesto, pepperoni with jalepeno and a ham and cheese calzone then hung around to chat with the friendly guys in the van about pizza and fire. You know me.... where does the dough come from?... what wood do you burn in the fire?... how much do you go through?...when do you light the fire?... at what temperature?... how many pizzas will you do tonight? etc. They burn ash. the king of all fire wood. I was impressed.

We chatted while I hung around outside the van in subzero temperatures, thoroughly enjoying myself. If you look at the photo of the oven, the three bottles of olive oil have solidified on the side facing the outside. I snapped a few ropey pics with my Blackberry, mentioned my blog to the guys and said I hoped to write something.

Rico's have about half a dozen vans covering the Oxfordshire area. Ours comes every Thursday. And what day is today? Thursday! Search them out and try one. You won't look back.

8 comments:

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Anthony! Pizza on wheels! I wish we have such vans here in Singapore!

Mark Willis said...

Bet that is a bit better than your average Kebab-van!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

Want a mobile pizza oven! What a great idea!

A.L.M. said...

Hi! We've recently launched the site www.Recipesup.com, on our website you can promote your blog Through facebook,twitter.com and pinterest. I invite you to go and take a look. Your blog will be in the top rank of Recipesup blogs. Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

Lovely blog!
www.recipesup.com
www.cazarecetas.com

Kinds Regards

Dude for Food said...

A food truck with a wood fired oven, great pizza, in the snow...now that is so cool!

Unknown said...

A delicious pizza in the show is a great things too enjoy. Here in Australia we use the best wood fired pizza oven to make pizza for show. That makes the show enjoyable ;)

Unknown said...

I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often...
Dubrovnik apartment

Ornaldo Depp said...

I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read. I learn new information from your article, you are doing a great job. Keep it up I Am Also a Professional Blogger At Pizza Oven

Related Posts with Thumbnails