Monday 25 July 2011

Spit Roasted Lamb Chops with Garlic & Rosemary


It was a much needed day of glorious Oxfordshire sunshine, I had two bags of lamb chops in the freezer and some good quality charcoal sitting waiting. Lamb chops are traditionally grilled, but the large amounts of fat released can create unmanageable flames that leave sooty marks on the food plus the unnecessary stress of trying to prevent them from burning.

Being a Sunday, I had plenty of time to think of something a bit different and more relaxing. Spit roasting is slower, and without coals directly below the meat so fat fires are much less likely. The idea reminded me a bit of some kebab shops, where lamb is layered in slices on a vertical spit in front of a gas grill, and the cooked meat sliced directly off the spit. I thought that if I layered the lamb chops on my spit, with some garlic and rosemary between each chop, the slower cooking would allow the flavours to better infuse, and the self basting would create delicious sweet crunchy bits around the outside. And besides, I'd get to sit in the garden with a cold drink listening to the sizzle and taking in the smells.


As it happened, it worked. Once the spit was removed, there was no carving needed, and my 1.2 kg of prime lamb chump chops made five decent servings. The flavours were intense and the sweet crispy bits on the outside a real delight. I served ours with mixed roasted vegetables and cous cous.

INGREDIENTS:

- Lamb chump chops (allow about 3 per person)
- Garlic cut into thin slices
- Fresh rosemary stalks
- Salt

METHOD:

Layer the chops on the spit with a few pieces of garlic and a sprig of rosemary between each one. Pack them together tightly and then sprinkle the outside with salt. Prepare the charcoal fire so that there are no coals below the spit. Lumpwood charcoal starts off really hot and then reduces in temperature gradually, which is ideal for this type of cooking. I used about 2.5 kg of charcoal, and the chops were on the spit for just over an hour.

21 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what a unique cooking method, they look positively delicious~

Hester Casey @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

Really interesting way of cooking lamb chops to keep them tender and juicy. The weather looks like it might improve in time for the bank holiday - this is definitely on the menu if it is BBQ weather.

Kim Bee said...

I am trying to come up with the technology to climb through the screen right now. This looks delicious.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

that looks amazing. For our sins, we've not had one bbq yet this year. I want one NOW !

Mia said...

I absolutely love this website.....I am also a foodie with a passion for outdoor roasting over open fires.

This "Spit Roasted Lamb" recipe is very good, well done.

I see you post on my site Foodpeasant.com and I love it.

I am currently working on my site, will be posting some great photos of our last firepit cookout with Lemon/Oregano, Honey seasoned Rabbit and slow-Roasted Potato's seasoned with Fresh grown Rosemary from my herb garden. So will be in touch, keep the fire on.

Mia - From THE USA- NorthEast

Dreams of cakes said...

I love chargoal grill. In Cyprus we have souvla, which usually is a Sundays meal, pieces of meat cooked like you did on chargoal.

firefoodie said...

Thank you Mia for your lovely comment. Keep working on your site and I can't wait to see your rabbit recipe!

firefoodie said...

Thank you Eftychia for your comment. Souvla is well known to me, in Perth (Australia) where I grew up, 'souvlaki' is a very popular take-away meal, especially late at night!

mjskit said...

This looks awesome! What a perfect way to grill lamb chops! Now I need to go get a spit! :)

the food dude said...

Nothing like slow roasted meat...basic, yet delivers the best flavor. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing. I agree that everything tastes better over some fire. Just found your blog and can't wait to read more.

Unknown said...

Absolutely delicious, thank you so much. Will become a family fave. Thanks you are a constant source of delicious, healthy Lamb Chump Steak
, we really appreciate you for new method to make this recipes.

Unknown said...

This looks so good! How long do you cook the meat for? I have been thinking about getting a little spit. I think it would be good for shish-kabobs. http://www.victoriangoldenroast.com.au

Unknown said...

This looks absolutely delicious! What a great idea for a casual weekend dinner. I would love to do this for a summer evening dinner party. I need to run to my local store for quality spit roasts.

Carmen Sanchez | http://www.victoriangoldenroast.com.au/menus/spit-roasts-catering

Unknown said...

That food looks absolutely delicious! I believe my parents have been looking for a place that can cater spit roast like that. We're having a small family gathering in a couple of weeks, and they figure it would be easier to have it catered than do it all themselves.
Andre Franklin | http://www.victoriangoldenroast.com.au

Unknown said...

I went to a party a few days ago and they served spit roast. It was seriously the most delicious thing I have ever eaten! I kept going back for seconds. The spit roast really made that party a memorable one for me!
http://www.victoriangoldenroast.com.au/menus/spit-roasts-catering

Unknown said...

I would love to get one of those spit roasting things. I love how that stuff tastes, but I've never made it myself. I bet my kids would love it. The older ones would have a blast keeping an eye on it for me.

Nora Moore | http://www.victoriangoldenroast.com.au/menus/spit-roasts-catering

spitroast said...

Awesome blog. I love to read all your work. This i would have say is your best work hands down. I look forward to your work.

spitroasters said...

Awesome blog. I love to read all your work. This i would have say is your best work hands down. I look forward to your work.

Stephanie J. said...

One of our favorite techniques is spit-roasting over charcoal because it’s easy to toss soaked wood chips or chunks on the coals to generate wood smoke. It keeps them tender and juicy and it gives an extra smoky flavor. Thanks for this additional tips!

Mike said...

I was looking for a old Lamb Chops recipes. And I found this , Looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Smoked Lamb Chops

Related Posts with Thumbnails